I have WordPress set up to load, parse and cache the favicons for sites added as bookmarks. The PHP class I was using struggled with certain ICO files, such as alistapart.com and sitepoint.com.
In the below example, we load a favicon from the filesystem into memory. For my use-case, the favicon has been loaded directly from the external site. Wanting to avoid unnecessary temporary files, I found that you can pipe data to and from the convert program from ImageMagick using streams in PHP. Assuming that you have determined that the favicon is an ico file;
convert ico:- -thumbnail 16x16 -alpha on -background none -flatten png:-
If you need a list of all modified files between two commits, you can use the following command;
git diff --name-only SHA1 SHA2
You can also pipe the output to a file (in the parent directory) as follows;
git diff --name-only SHA1 SHA2 > ../filename.txt
I recently had a problem where a Magento store would infinitely redirect, from TLD to sub-domain (i.e. non-www to www). The server was configured behind a reverse proxy, which was handled by Pound (acting as a load balancer and SSL wrapper). Pound is great for handling hand-overs between a caching proxy and application servers, in addition to load balancing multiple servers and wrapping SSL connections to the client.
I run Debian Squeeze with Gnome 3 on a laptop. I mainly use this to offload my e-mail from the main machine, where I can concentrate my workflow across two screens without the constant need to ALT-Tab. This means that there is a need to share files between the Windows desktop machine and Laptop, using regular windows file shares.
I had a series of “bookmarks” that allowed me to access various Samba shares. These bookmarks (GVFS mounts) are configured in Nautilus, and really simple to set up. Unfortunately, they are not so easy to use; you can’t drag and drop a file from a GVFS share into a non-supporting application (such as Google Chrome), and they don’t usually generate file previews in nautilus either. This could be due to the fact that they use protocol addresses (e.g. smb://)? That means that I was having to copy files—from the shares to a local directory—before being able to work with them.
This year I am participating in Movember. I know a few people who have done so in the past, however it’s a team effort with everybody at Juicy Media taking part. Participation is not at all difficult, I don’t have to run (or walk) a marathon, so there was no excuse but to sign up and get on with it. The only downside is taking those awful “selfie” photos; vanity aside my front-facing camera seems to be awful for the purpose.
I have been using Git a lot more recently. Eclipse PDT is my editor of choice, and EGit has eased the transition to a version control centric workflow. Some of my project development environments are accessed via a Samba network share; unfortunately Git over Samba is sub-optimal at best. For a larger project I have been working on, a full repository refresh could take up to 30 minutes. This is obviously unacceptable, especially if you hope to commit often or create / switch feature branches.
- It’s ugly as hell
- It’s everywhere
There is also the timeline widget, which is also implemented as the successor to the original in Jetpack, but this isn’t a 1:1 replacement either. So I wondered how easily an OAuth-enabled version would be to both manage and implement.
I’ve been working on a few tweaks to improve accessibility on mobile devices. Since obtaining a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Note 2, I’m finding myself using my mobile device more than ever. The redesign earlier last year allowed me to introduce some initial steps toward a responsive layout, but it was and still is an unfinished product.
I have finally got round to implementing sidebar folding at low resolution. I’m the using adjacent sibling selector (+), the :checked pseudo-selector, and HTML <input> hacks (<label>, radio and check-box <input> elements). This technique also works great for folding the main navigation at low resolution using a check-box.
When developing web applications that use APIs, it is usually necessary to have the development site accessible for API callback URLs. A good example would be when working with payment gateway systems, which typically post back success or failure of transactions. In this event it is convenient to use HTTP authorisation to prevent outside access (users, crawlers, etc.). The issue with this is that API systems don’t always work with the http://[user]@[password]:[url] method of manually passing through this authentication method.
I was working on a project which was randomly failing to load certain views outside the development environment. It turns out that the system was running out of memory. After searching some of the error messages output by the script, I stumbled upon the xhprof PHP module. It was originally created by Facebook, and released under an open source license.